Sunday, August 3, 2008

Time to get the pals back... Donut budget is shot. Flipped again. Why "Fairing" is really UNfair.



Hull is "faired" and painted, boat is flipped for the last time... and brought back to the cradle... 

What is "fairing" ?, it's a system of filling holes, imperfections and divots and sanding, filling the same imperfections again, then sanding, and then filling the same imperfections again, and so on.  I don't know why they call it "fairing", it's actually quite unfair ; ).  I made a decision at this point to spend the time necessary to make a boat that I am proud of.  I wanted it to look like it popped out of a mold.  Which is perverse.  Make a wooden boat that looks -- well -- plastic...  what a world.  My wife informed me at this stage that she is burying me in the stupid thing, so I may as well have something I'm proud of for all eternity.

After the boat is turned, it's time to fair the inside.  The red stuff you see is an extremely light powdery substance called "microballoons" which is mixed with epoxy.  It's tough stuff, but at the same time, it's easy to sand.  Up to this point I used a maple wood flour (the brown stuff) mixed with epoxy.  It's extremely hard to sand.  Only a random orbital sander is effective against maple wood flour.  All other sanding techniques (vibrating, by-hand) are much, much harder.  

No comments: