Sunday, August 3, 2008

Fiberglass is done... now sacrificial keels and "wedges" are applied







I'll admit, I thought fiberglassing was going to fun.  It was hard.  I applied the fiberglass "dry"... meaning I draped the cloth and then pushed the epoxy through the cloth.  Awful.  It took forever.  Many people swear by the dry method, I thought it was a drag.  It was perhaps the Xynol cloth that I used.  The second layer went on much easier.

I then mounted (3) doug fir pieces on the hull.  One in the center and two outboards.  I followed it up with brass "half rounds" to protect the doug fir keel pieces.  Note:  I wish I had used mahogany instead of doug fir.  Doug fir is too soft.  It's been 5 years since the hull was finished and the bottom has held up amazingly well.  I take care of this boat, I baby it actually.  However, I use it for duck hunting in the winter and I am constantly rubbing against rocks, shells and sand on the bottom.  It can't be helped.  

The only real damage I have done to the bottom - and it's cosmetic damage - was a bad (too short) roller on the trailer... it had this metal hat on the end of a metal shaft that would roll along the center keel and damage it.  I have since replaced that roller and the problem has disappeared. 

The Snow Goose design has a history of porpoising... which means that when the boat is underway, the bow slaps rhythmically rises and falls - it's annoying.  With this knowledge, I applied wooden wedges on the bottom of the boat near the transom.  Wedges act like a "trim" on an airplane's aileron.  the wedge pushes the bow down and keeps the bow in trim.

Some say it slows the boat down and in some cases is unsafe - as it is hard to get the bow up in big wave situations.  This boat has seen a lot of big water and I can get the boat pointed up no problem at slow speeds - i.e. the wedges are NOT unsafe.  They may slow the boat some, but for my use, the boat goes plenty fast.  

No comments: